Antarctica, Patagonia, Chilean Fjords - Voyage of Discovery (Northbound)
About Valparaiso, Chile
- Experience Antarctica and Patagonia in one expedition cruise
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and incredible wildlife in Antarctica
- Sail into the Chilean fjords in summer and see Cape Horn
- Opportunity to visit Torres del Paine National Park
- Overnight in Santiago de Chile before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Flight in economy class from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas
- Transfer from the hotel in Santiago de Chile to Santiago de Chile airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfer from Punta Arenas airport to the ship, including one brief tour of the city and a lunchbox
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna with floor-to-ceiling window, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
- International flights
- Travel protection
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Medical questionnaire is mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
Summer in the Metropolis - Santiago de Chile - Hotel
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Santiago, the exciting and diverse capital of Chile. There is much to discover here: Andean glaciers at the city borders, skyscrapers in the city center, and lovely colonial architecture on the shores of the fast-flowing Mapacho River. Why not extend your expedition by adding an optional Pre-program to the amazing Atacama Desert or Chilean Patagonia?
Embarking on the Expedition - Punta Arenas, Chile
You fly early in the morning to Punta Arenas, where the hybrid-powered expedition ship MS Roald Amundsen is docked, ready for your expedition cruise to Antarctica.
The Drake Passage - At sea
We sail through the scenic Beagle Channel and over the legendary Drake Passage. Onboard, the Expedition Team starts the lecture programme, giving you information about Antarctica’s fantastic animals, geology and history. You’ll also learn how to make your visit as safe and as sustainable as possible and you’ll join Citizen Science programs to help collect data for current scientific research. Enjoy the fresh sea air and look out for wildlife from the deck.
Antarctica … Another World! - Antarctica
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder, with white horizons above oceans full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first encounter with the huge colonies of penguins.
Our Expedition Team will lead ice-cruising and landings at every opportunity to come ashore and explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Of course, this is true wilderness, so nature is in charge, but our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and aim to bring you to the incredible diversity of landscapes and rich wildlife on display in this pristine wilderness.
Drake Passage and Cape Horn - At sea
MS Roald Amundsen takes us safely back across the famous Drake Passage. We will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica. Using the state-of-the-art microscopes in the ship’s Science Center, you can analyse samples taken during the expedition cruise to see another kind of ‘wildlife’ at the cellular level. As we reach South America, we will attempt to land on historic Cape Horn before continuing towards the Chilean fjords.
A Paradise for Nature Lovers - Chilean Fjords
Deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into the icy water await us in magnificent surroundings. This wild and remote area seems almost untouched by humans, full of isolated islands and hidden bays that harbor rich wildlife.
Torres del Paine National Park - Puerto Natales - Overnight stay
Puerto Natales is the gateway to the Torres del Paine National Park, world famous for the impressive ’Torres del Paine‘ (Towers of Paine) rock formation. Explore the park on our optional excursion to discover a landscape of stunning variety, from the vast open steppe to rugged mountain terrain topped by looming peaks that host a wide variety of wildlife. Watch for llamas, pumas, and foxes in addition to more than 100 species of birds, such as the Andean condor.
A Paradise for Nature Lovers - Puerto Edén
After a cruise through Patagonian waters, the village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. It is known for its geographical isolation, situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar people.
Waters of Patagonia - At Sea
Our expedition cruise continues north through the fabled waters of Patagonia. As we sail through iconic Andean seascapes, enjoy the vistas of the magnificent natural expanse.
Cosmopolitan Castro - Castro, Chile
Set among windswept hills and lush vegetation, Castro is known for its colourful `palafitos´, wooden houses mounted on stilts along the water's edge, and the UNESCO Site Iglesia San Francisco. Nearby wide beaches are home to dozens of seabirds, penguins and sea lions.
Sailing North - At Sea
As we make our way along the Pacific coast to Valparaíso, we will recap the highlights of the expedition cruise and scan for wildlife.
The ‘Jewel of the Pacific’ - Valparaíso, Chile
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. And this expedition ends in the colourful and poetic city of Valparaíso. Take some time to explore this scenic town before your flight home or extend your stay with a Post Programme to Easter Island, famous for its mysterious statues of giant heads and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.