Glories of Greece (Winter 2017 2018)
About Athens, Greece
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Athens: See Hadrian's Arch and the Temple of Zeus.
- Corinth Canal: Cross the amazing rock-cut channel dividing the Peloponnese from mainland Greece.
- Patras: Cross the world's longest multi-span, cable-stayed bridge.
- Thermopylae: See the memorial to Leonidas and his heroic Spartans.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
- Olympia: Join a local chef and savour the regional flavours in a fun, exciting introduction to Greek cooking.
- Athens: Toast the culmination of your tour in true Greek tradition at a lively Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Included Quality Dining: 6 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 2 Three-course table d'hôte Dinners or Buffets (D) with tea or coffee; plus 1 Welcome Dinner (WD), 1 Signature Evening (SE) and 1 Celebration Dinner (CD) all with wine, plus tea or coffee. Departure on tour for New Year's Eve will enjoy a festive Highlight Dinner.
- Athens: With a Local Expert, ascend the ‘Sacred Rock' - the Acropolis. Her you can admire the Parthenon, built in 5th century BC, as well as the smaller Temple of Athena Nike and the ‘Porch of the Maidens'.
- Mycenae: Walk through the Lion Gate past the royal ‘beehive' tombs where Schliemann uncovered golden treasure, while hearing tales of Agamemnon from your Local Expert.
- Argolis: Meet the artisans of a family-run pottery studio and learn about their unique traditional methods.
- Epidaurus: With a Local Expert, visit the Sanctuary of Asklepios. In the centre of the enclosure once stood the temple dedicated to the god of medicine. Visit the museum, as well as the best preserved open-air theatre in the whole of Greece.
- Meteora: With a Local Expert, visit one of the remarkable centuries-old monasteries of Meteora, teetering on towers of rock and arguably the most spectacular place to visit in Greece.
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
- Athens: The Divani Caravel is a luxury hotel situated in the heart of Athens. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, it epitomises refinement, elegance and exceptional service.
- Nafplio: Nafplia Palace is located on the slope of the ancient fortress of Akronafplia. It offers rooms with views of the Argolic Bay and spacious private balconies overlooking Nafplio and the Bourtzi island fort.
- Olympia: At the Antonios Hotel, the emphasis is on a comfortable and cosy stay. Take advantage of the discreet service and tranquil atmosphere.
- Delphi: The Amalia hotel is located within walking distance from the famous attractions of Delphi, the Archaeological Museum, the temple of Apollo and the Castalia Fountain.
- Kalambaka: The Divani Meteroa is surrounded by the majestic towering rocks known as Meteora, in the charming village of Kalambaka.
TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
- Olympia: Olympia was the original location of the Olympic Games, held every four years during a 1,000-year period as a celebration of the Hellenic spirit. Here lie the ruins of temples and treasures dedicated to Zeus, King of the Gods.
- Delphi: Ascend the Sacred Way, once lined with offertory temples. See the reconstructed Athenian Treasury and pass the superb Polygonal Wall to reach the Temple of Apollo, where the people would seek divine wisdom from the mysterious Oracle.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.