Best of Spain & Portugal (Winter 2017-18)
About Barcelona, Spain
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Madrid: Your guided tour shows you the statue of Don Quixote in the Plaza de España, Royal Palace, Gran Via, Cibeles Fountain, Parliament and Puerta del Sol.
- Toledo: Walk the cobbled streets.
- Avila: See the dominant city walls.
- Salamanca: See the cathedral in the university town. Porto: See the bridges and buildings decorated in tiles. See the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores.
- Obidos: Visit this ancient fortified city.
- Lisbon: Tour the spacious avenues and elegant squares. See the Monument to the Discoveries, ancient Belém Tower and visit Lisbon Cathedral.
- Seville: Enjoy a walking tour through the squares and lanes of the Santa Cruz Quarter. Emerge by the walls of the Alcazar.
- Mijas: Journey to this white-washed village.
- Valencia: See the ultra modern Centre of Arts and Sciences. See the huge City Gates of Serranos and Quart.
- Peñíscola: View the stone castle from the film 'El Cid'.
- Barcelona: Drive down the elegant Passeig de Gracia to witness some of the finest Modernist architecture.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
- Autumn: See the ripe olives being picked and enjoy a tasting.
- Winter: Sample fresh Valencia oranges of the season, artfully made into a delicious dessert.
- Spring: Visit the Cava Bodegas for a taste of Spanish bubbly.
- Porto: Sample a selection of famous Port wines at a tasting at the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores.
- Lisbon: Enjoy a tasting of the famous ‘Pastéis de Belém' - a Portuguese delicacy.
- Seville: Tables are reserved for dinner, drinks and a fiery evening of Spanish dance and music! Get ready for throbbing guitars, lamenting solos, colourful dancers and the rhythmic stomp of flamenco.
- Granada: For your Dine-Around Evening, choose from a selection of restaurants for a more intimate experience.
- Valencia: Learn the authentic recipe of paella in a fun cookery demonstration and savour the flavours of this classic dish for dinner, washed down with a glass of sangria.
- Barcelona: With fantastic sea views, be seated for an exceptional Catalan Celebration Dinner, incorporating classic cooking with only the freshest produce.
- Included Quality Dining: 14 Buffet Breakfasts (BB); plus 1 Welcome Dinner (WD), 2 Three-course table d'hôte Dinners (DW), 2 Signature Evenings (SE), 1 Dine-Around Evening (DA) and 1 Celebration Dinner (CD) all with wine, plus tea or coffee. Departures on tour for Christmas and New Year's Eve will enjoy festive Highlight Dinners which will replace an included meal.
- Madrid: Witness the world’s finest collection of Spanish paintings, plus an impressive international collection, as you tour the Prado Museum with an expert art historian.
- Toledo: With a Local Expert, visit the Church of Santo Tomé and see El Greco's masterpiece.
- Lisbon: Stroll through the old Belém Quarter with a Local Expert and visit Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries.
- Seville: From the Moorish Patio de los Naranjos, step inside the cathedral with your Local Expert. Past the altarpiece dripping with gold to the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Gibraltar: With your Local Expert tour the Rock of Gibraltar, one of the pillars of Hercules, affording magnificent views and see the meeting of the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the Spanish Sierra. You will also visit St. Michael's Cave and see the Barbary Apes.
- Granada: Best interpreted with the help of a Local Expert, the Alhambra Palace is the ultimate in Muslim architecture, an arabesque fantasy in stone, complemented by the gardens of the Generalife.
- Barcelona: Explore Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Família Basilica, guided by a Local Expert.
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
- Madrid: The newly built 5-star Barceló Torre de Madrid offers sophisticated comfort and impeccable service, all within walking distance from Madrid's major sights.
- Salamanca: The centrally located Alameda is close to a range of restaurants and shops and only a short walk to the Plaza Mayor. The spacious rooms all have marble bathrooms and antique-style furniture.
- Porto: : The NH Collection Porto Batalha was once an 18th century palace hosting lavish balls. It is now a state-of-the-art property offering impeccable service and maximum comfort.
- Lisbon: Dom Pedro Palace is located in the Amoreiras, Lisbon's vibrant shopping district. This deluxe hotel offers elegant guest accommodation with great city views and a fantastic spa.
- Seville: The Ayre Sevilla is fantastically-located in the centre of Seville. The property provides outstanding comfort and service, while being the first sustainable hotel in Seville and a pioneer in energy saving.
- Costa del Sol: : The Melia Costa del Sol is located on a stunning seafront. The perfect setting to relax and fully take in the beautiful scenery.
- Granada: The 4-star Vincci Albayzin is located in the Albaycin, the old town centre of Granada. Relax in the patio and soak in the typical Andalusian atmosphere of the hotel, in true comfort and style.
- Valencia: The modern Barceló Valencia is situated right in the centre of Valencia opposite the Queen Sofia Palace of Arts, a building designed by the renowned architect Santiago Calatrava. Don't miss out on the magnificent views of the city from the rooftop terrace!
- Barcelona: The modern Hilton Barcelona is located on the city's main avenue. It promises an outstanding experience in Barcelona with all comforts and a spectacular view over the city!
TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
- Obidos: Stroll through the medieval streets of this hilltop fortified city.
- Mijas: Enjoy a walking tour of the village known for its white-washed houses typical of the region.
You will visit the following 2 places:
Spain – one of Europe’s most top travel destinations for its fantastic beaches, islands, UNESCO World Heritage sites, stunning and diverse countryside, buzzing nightlife, delicious cuisine and world-famous fiestas! The country is a friendly, multicultural society dedicated to building curious minds, positive attitudes and creative spirits. With great beaches, fun nightlife, many cultural regions and historic cities, Spain makes a great destination for any kind of trip.
Portugal is a southern European country on the Iberian Peninsula, bordering Spain and the Atlantic Ocean. It has a rich, unique culture, lively cities and beautiful countryside. Its rolling interior is perfect for exploring on foot, by kayak, by bike or even on horseback – though a large part of the country’s charm comes from languorous days on the beach, dining on fabulously fresh seafood and kicking back with a beer to watch the sunset over the Atlantic. It is also a developed country with an advanced economy, a high living standard, being also the 11th most peaceful country in the world.